Books for 7th Graders to Read
I started this 7th grade reading list in 2009 when my oldest daughter was 12 years old. My second daughter was in the 7th grade during the 2010-2011 school year, and I currently don’t have any kids in this age group for the 2011-2012 school year.
I am keeping this 7th grade reading list so that I can remember what books to suggest to my younger daughter and son. There are many books that have come out since I started this list, so please let me know in the guestbook if there is one you think I should add to the list. I hope you find something on the list for your kids. And please feel free to suggest more books for seventh graders.
Some Great Books for 7th Graders
- The Twilight Saga Series by Stephenie Meyer
- The 39 Clues Series
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
- This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
- 13 Little Blue Envelop
- The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner
Seventh Grade Reading Skills and Strategies
School districts in my area are top notch. I am always on the lookout for some of the best strategies seventh graders can utilize while reading.
- Preview reading materials, make predictions and create a visual representation such as a graphic organizer or a drawing about what has been read.
- Use information from the text and the 7th grade student’s own ideas to explain and support understanding of various kinds of fiction and nonfiction texts.
- Make sure they like it more than they hate it
- Choose closed caption on the TV and the kids will read as they watch
- Vary the length and subject matter of your readings, both fiction and non-fiction.
- Never read above a child’s emotional level