Books for Second Graders
My youngest daughter finished 2nd grade in 2011, my son in 2009. As my four kids read books at each grade level I started keeping a record as a resource for myself and other parents in finding age appropriate books for kids. The books below are ones my kids have read for fun and some are books they have read for school. If you find these 2nd grade books too simple or too challenging, please check out these 3rd grade books and 1st grade books.
- The Dangerous Books for Boys by Conn Iggulden – teaches boys about many things in life including how to tie knots, girls, magic tricks with coins, and many other gotta know facts.
- Magic Tree House Series
- Captain Underpants Series by Dav Pilkey
- My Weird School Series by Dan Gutman
- Stink Series by Megan McDonald
Second Grade Reading Skills
My school district provides a list of reading strategies and skills each second grader should learn as they progress through 2nd grade.
- Utilize and apply a variety of reading strategies (e.g., picture clues, decoding, context clues, and rereading for meaning) for the purpose of comprehending a text
- Interpret figurative language (e.g., synonyms, antonyms, homonyms)
- Use a variety of strategies to connect important ideas in text to prior knowledge and other readings
- Identify fiction and nonfiction and differentiate between fact and opinion
- Read age appropriate material aloud with fluency and accuracy
- Identify purposes for reading
- Make, confirm, modify, or reject predictions before, during, and after reading
- Ask questions in order to continuously check and clarify for understanding during reading
- Use evidence and information in text to form questions, verify predictions, generate and respond to questions that reflect higher level thinking skills
- Utilize the strategies of inferring, comparing, and evaluating of text
- Use information from simple tables, maps, and charts to increase comprehension of a variety of ageappropriate materials, both fiction and nonfiction
- Identify story elements (e.g. characters, setting, problem, solution)
- Engage in discussion through retelling and analysis
- Investigate literature from a variety of time periods/cultures/genres
- Make text to self, text to text, and text to world connections
- Explain how major children’s authors and illustrators express their ideas
- Chapter books – Ask what happened when you left off yesterday
What books have your kids read while in 2nd grade? We would like to know so we have more birthday and christmas gift ideas.